Interested in max pain calculations on the go? We offer OptionCalc as application for various mobile platforms:
If you like OptionCalc and have a mobile device please support us by purchasing a license.
Thank you, we appreciate it!
In Options Trading, the Max Pain theory, sometimes also called Strike Price Pegging focuses on the idea that towards expiration date the price of a stock will move towards its strike price thus inflicting most losses (pain) to the majority of option traders as all parties with high investments try to steer the stock price towards their calls or puts to minimize their losses. Max Pain calculations on our site use g intraday data and are up to date to within 30 minutes.
Actual Pain, also sometimes referred to as Relative Pain is a variation of the Max Pain theory only taking into account the options traded since a particular date (most often the last expiration date). Due to the nature of our Actual Pain calculation no intraday data is used; instead the previous trading day is the newest data upon which the calculation is based on; also the Actual Pain calculation will be inaccurate within the first days of a new expiration month.
Use our max pain calcualtor NOW for FREE (no registration required). Simply click the "get started" link at the top of the page.
We are proud to announce major updates to our OptionCalc lineup. OptionCalc v2.6 and our OptionCalc WebPortal are now featuring weekly options and Actual Pain besides other improvements.
For iOS users who want to get acquainted with OptionCalc we released OptionCalc Lite (free) to help get you started and dive right into it. Head over to the App Store to get it now!
- Max & Actual Pain calculation for current and future expiration dates
- Supports both weekly and monthly expirations
- Max Pain Put/Call Chart
- "Hot Symbols" show the best Max Pain matches (currently iOS & Android only)
- Detailed grid for further analysis; highlighted Max & Actual Pain and ITM strikes (fields vary between Web, iPhone and iPad version)
- Historical chart for expiration month (Calculated max pain price vs. last price updated daily)
- Historical data for all US stocks and Indexes (DOW, SP500, NASDAQ, User Requested)
- Huge active user base
If you have requests, ideas or suggestion that you would like to see incorporated into the service feel free to contact us!